Tuesday, November 22, 2011

We have taken in a stray female ';Teenage'; cat and need some advice please!?

We are keeping her in a spare room, seperate from our other cat because she has conjunctivitus. We are cleaning her eye with saline solution 2 times a day. In the beginning she was sneezing but now she seems to have just about stopped. I was wondering how long we should keep her seperate (we always wash and sterilize our hands after contact with her) from the other cat? She is a lovely friendly little thing and does love to eat, but what would be the best for her? She gets dried food, tuna fish and sometimes milk (not much milk, I heard it was not so good for them...it that ture or not? I would love some advice about all this as our kids love the new cat !We have taken in a stray female ';Teenage'; cat and need some advice please!?
Since the cat was a stray, definitely take her to the vet ASAP. When I took in two stray kittens, my vet freaked because they could have feline leukemia or FIV. Luckily they didn't, and plus like you I kept my other cat quarantined so that she was not at risk. Once you get the test results from the vet, you can start socializing your cats. As far as food, if you are giving her dry food and tuna that is fine. Tuna may not be an ideal food for cats, but as long as she is getting her vitamins and nutrients from her dry food it is safe to feed it to her every few days. My friend feeds her cat a can of tuna every day! I think that's a little excessive but they really do love it as a treat. I usually feed my cats dry food at all times and wet food for supper once a day (sometimes I give them tuna or even pink salmon). Also, my cat LOVES milk. I don't usually give her milk straight from the jug, but I will let her have what's left after I finish my cereal (no choice really, she annoys me and sticks her face in it anyway!!). I think that as long as it is not upsetting her stomach, every once in a while it is not a problem. You could also try the Whiskas Cat Milk, it removes what cats can't digest in cow's milk. My cat also goes crazy for that.We have taken in a stray female ';Teenage'; cat and need some advice please!?
I would check with the vet to make sure that it is ok to introduce the two cats, after all you don't want your other cat to get sick. Milk and tuna fish aren't really that good for cats. We keep our cats on dry food (they have it down all day) and in the evenings they get half of a can of wet food for a ';treat'; and they absolutely love it.
Tuna and cow's milk are THE big no-no's for cats. She really should be checked by a vet right away because you must rule out FIV or feline leukemia before exposing your other cat to her. If the conjunctivitis is causes by the herpes virus that is also contagious to your other cat. So the vet trip is imperative right now.





I do hope she checks out clear for all these things and she can become a permanent member of your loving family.
You need to wean her off the human food and start feeding her cat food. This will improve her health a lot. Baby animals cannot process the lactose found in cow's milk (cow's milk is for baby cows). This gives them diarrhea and bad tummy aches.
at least until a vet says it's safe... or her eyes clean up and she doesn't need the solution... but make sure she gets along with your other cats as well.
Your new kitty needs to be checked by a vet. If she has runny eyes and sneezes, she probably has a respiratory infection. Don't feed her milk! Cats cannot digest cow's milk properly and it will worsen her congestion now and contribute to kidney problems later on. My vet told me that tuna is not the best food for cats. Mine love it, but now they only get tuna as a special treat. Introduce the new one to your other cat gradually. Most cats get along after a few hisses and ';this is my house '; remarks. But do take her to a vet. She could pass a virus to another cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment